Run the Check Disk Utility once a month. This will check for hard disk problems and fix any errors if present. This in turn prevents data loss and hard disk failure.
To Run Check Disk Utility:
- Open "My Computer"
- Right click on the drive name which you want to run the ‘Check Disk’ Utility
- Click on "Properties"
- Click on “Tools” Tab
- Click on “Check Now” Button in Error Checking Section
- Here you can select either one or both “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” although its not mandatory to do so.
- Click on “Start” button to begin the process
- This will start the scanning and take it through 3 different phases i.e. from Phase I to Phase II and then finally to Phase III.
- Once the scan is complete, a message pops up stating that the "Check Disk completed" and an ‘OK’ button is displayed to close the scan window. Click on the "OK" button to complete the scan and close it.
That’s it. Check Disk utility will automatically scan and fix the hard drive errors if any. It is strongly recommended that you run this utility on a regular basis.
You can also automatically schedule the “Check Disk” utility to run and scan hard drives using the ‘Schedule Task‘