Here we will instruct you on how to cook dal. Dal is a sidedish which you can eat along with rice and together they make a complete indian meal. They can be used for both lunch and dinner. Also you can use it along with rotis, chappathis, phulka also.
The combination depends on your taste. You can cook dal using a pressure cooker or even in an open vessel with a lid. Again if this is first time you are preparing dal then let us start cooking with a standard quantity. Hmmm… shall we cook dal for a single person for a single meal? Ok? Let's Start!
Time : 20 - 30 mins
A pressure cooker and a frying pan
Dal - ½ cup - about 100gms
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Garlic - 2 to 3 pods
Chilly powder - 2 tsp
Tomatoes - 2 medium size
Tamarind - 50gms
Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
Zeera seeds - ¼ tsp
curry leaves - 8 to 10
Water - 2 glasses - 400 ml
Salt - 1 tsp or more to taste
- Wash the dal with water twice to remove any dirt present and place it in the cooker
- If you are using a pressure cooker,then place the dal,tomatoes,tamarind,chilly powder and turmeric powder into the pressure cooker. Pour the 2 glasses of water into it and add the salt. Preferably add a 1 ½ teaspoon of salt. Close the cooker. Heat the dal on a low flame.
- Once you have started started the cooking, wait till you hear the whistle blow 4 - 5 times.
- Then take the cooker off the stove and keep aside for around 10 mins.
- Remove the lid and take out the container containing the boiled dal.
- Mix the dal till it becomes a paste. Keep it aside after this.
- Now take the frying pan and heat 2 tsp oil for 30 sec to 1 min.
- Once the oil is heated, add the tsp Cumin seeds, Zeera, Garlic pods and the Curry leaves in the above mentioned quantity.
- Cook till the seeds pop.
- Take this frying pan mixture and pour it into the dal.
- Mix it thoroughly with the dal in the pressure cooker container
- Again cook the dal now mixed with these ingredients for 5 to 10 min on low flame.
Dal is ready to serve. You can serve with white rice or chapattis or pulkha.
Please note that all the items that we are teaching you to cook will be done using a pressure cooker. As this is the most economical method of cooking unless otherwise stated.However you can cook the same in open vessels also with a lid to close the contents while cooking, though this method will consume more fuel i.e. cooking gas and thus not really economical.
Which Recipe you would like to learn and cook next?
- Cook Rice
- Cook Dal
- Capsicum and potato curry recipe
- Stuffed Paneer Roast Recipe
- Brinjal and Drumstick Curry
- Pepper Rasam or Saaru
- Tomato Chutney
- Cook Lemon Rice
- Cook puffed Rice
- Cook Upma / Khara Bath
- Vegetable Biryani
- Egg Roast
- Thanjavur Mutton Fry
- Dindigul Spicy Chicken Fry (Varuval)
- Fish Curry Nagercoil style Recipe
- Chicken Curry
Health & Fitness: